Monday, October 26, 2020

Portugal freezes billionaire Isabel dos Santos bank accounts amid money laundering scandal

-

Portugal has ordered a freeze on the bank accounts of the billionaire businesswoman Isabel dos Santos, who is currently the subject of a criminal investigation in Angola.

The public prosecutor’s office in Lisbon confirmed reports that dozens of personal and corporate accounts belonging to Dos Santos and her husband, Sindika Dokolo, were the subject of a seizure order.

The daughter of the former Angolan president José Eduardo dos Santos, she is said to be Africa’s richest woman, with a fortune estimated at $2.2bn.

The order was prompted by a request from Angola, where Dos Santos has been named as a suspect in a criminal investigation into the misappropriation of funds from the state oil company, Sonangol.

- Advertisement -

“We confirm that the public prosecution service requested the seizure of bank accounts, as part of the request for international judicial cooperation from the Angolan authorities,” the Portuguese prosecutor’s office told news agency Lusa.

Dos Santos was appointed the chair of Sonangol as her father was nearing the end of his 38-year term as president. Prosecutors are investigating the transfer of some $115m in consultancy fees which she allegedly authorised while at the helm of the company.

A spokesperson for Dos Santos did not immediately respond to a request for comment. She has previously rejected any suggestion of wrongdoing, describing allegations against her as “extremely misleading and untrue”. Dos Santos has said she is the subject of a “a very concentrated, orchestrated and well-coordinated political attack” led by Angola’s current president.

The empire she and her husband control spans banking, diamonds, oil, telecoms, property, engineering and supermarkets in Angola and Portugal. The couple own a number of homes in London and she has in the past referred to the UK capital as her main family home.

- Advertisement -

In January, the Luanda Leaks investigation revealed numerous schemes apparently used by Dos Santos and her husband to obtain Angolan state funds during her father’s presidency. The revelations were based on a leak of 715,000 files obtained from administrators of the Dos Santos empire, obtained by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists and shared with news groups including the Guardian, the BBC and the New York Times.

Portugal is now the second country to have imposed a freeze on Dos Santos. In December, personal and corporate accounts belonging to her, her husband and a key adviser were frozen in Angola. Prosecutors say deals between the couple and state-owned businesses in the diamond and oil sectors harmed the state to the tune of $1bn. Angola is demanding compensation.

The Angolan attorney general, Hélder Pitta Grós, reportedly requested the Portuguese seizure in a letter sent following a visit to Lisbon on 23 January, when he met with his Portuguese counterpart in order to request help with the prosecution against Dos Santos.

“At the meeting in Lisbon between the attorneys general of Angola and Portugal, and following requests for cooperation, the freezing of Isabel dos Santos’s personal and company accounts was requested as part of the seizure process in Angola,” a spokesperson for the Angolan attorney general told O Jornal Económico, adding that that request “was formalised in a letter rogatory sent after the visit, where these steps by the Portuguese justice are requested.”.

Original article on theguardian.com

MUST READ

Julius Baer to deny two former CEOs their bonuses over money laundering scandal

Julius Baer will withhold millions of francs in bonuses from its former chief executives Boris Collardi and Bernhard Hodler, as a result of a...

Goldman Sachs executives to cover part payments of $3 billion fines in 1MDB scandal

Nine current or former Goldman Sachs executives, including CEO David Solomon, will have to pay back hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation over...

Goldman Sachs agrees $3 billion settlement with US DoJ over 1MDB corruption scandal

Goldman Sachs has agreed to pay nearly $3bn (£2.3bn) in the US to end a probe of its role in Malaysia's 1MDB corruption scandal. The...

Hong Kong fines Goldman Sachs $350 million over 1MDB scandal

Goldman Sachs ignored multiple red flags over the multibillion-dollar fundraisings it arranged for state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad, Hong Kong’s financial regulator said on...

Texas attorney general Ken Paxton fires top aide who accused him of bribery

Lacey Mase, one of the top aides who accused Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton of crimes including bribery and abuse of office, has been fired, she told The...

Subscribe For More

Get our daily notification on the latest financial crimes news around the World

Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest News

This Week

Goldman Sachs agrees $3 billion settlement with US DoJ over 1MDB corruption scandal

Goldman Sachs has agreed to pay nearly $3bn (£2.3bn) in the US to end a probe of its role in Malaysia's 1MDB corruption scandal. The...

Hong Kong fines Goldman Sachs $350 million over 1MDB scandal

Goldman Sachs ignored multiple red flags over the multibillion-dollar fundraisings it arranged for state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad, Hong Kong’s financial regulator said on...

Former North Macedonia PM linked to new money laundering probe

The Organised Crime Prosecution in North Macedonia on Monday confirmed the arrest of Risto Novacevski – the best man of fugitive ex-prime minister Nikola...

Texas attorney general Ken Paxton fires top aide who accused him of bribery

Lacey Mase, one of the top aides who accused Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton of crimes including bribery and abuse of office, has been fired, she told The...
Advertisement

Adblock Detected!

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting our website.

Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks