Najib Razak’s long-awaited 1MDB trial for money laundering and abuse of power will run from Aug 19 to Nov 14, following the dismissal of the government’s application for a postponement in light of the ongoing SRC International case in which the former prime minister faces seven criminal charges.
High Court judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah said he was rejecting the application by Attorney-General Tommy Thomas as it was the third request to postpone the 1MDB case.
“The application is denied and the 1MDB trial will proceed as scheduled,” he said.
The SRC International case is scheduled to run until Aug 15. The prosecution has called 42 witnesses so far.
In the last proceeding before Sequerah on June 21, Thomas said the prosecution had 20 more witnesses to call before it could wrap up its case.
“The SRC trial is moving more slowly than we expected,” he said, adding that the 1MDB trial should be postponed to Oct 1.
Najib was slapped with 25 charges of money laundering and abuse of power last September over alleged 1MDB funds in his AmBank account.
He was accused of abusing his position to obtain RM2.28 billion in bribes in February 2011 and December 2014.
He was also said to have transferred the RM2.28 billion in illegal funds to his bank account, and to have subsequently used the money.
In the SRC International case, he is accused of abuse of power, money laundering and criminal breach of trust.